Tarleton’s Athletic Hall of Fame welcomes five new members

The Tarleton State University Athletic Department honored five new members to the Athletic Hall of Fame. The ceremony was held on June 1 in Barry B. Thompson Student Center. A reception was held Friday night, and a breakfast followed on Saturday morning. Inductees included Tracy Guy, J.W. Boren, Krayles Banks, David Tomlinson, and the 1991-1992 Tarleton TexAnn basketball team.

“Being inducted into the Tarleton Athletics Hall of Fame is a great honor for any student-athlete, any coach or any supporter of Tarleton Athletics,” Director of Athletic Communications, Dameon Myres said. “This honor is so prestigious due to the fact that these members had to have distinguished themselves in the athletics’ arena.”

Boren enters the hall as the 139th member and the 63rd football player. He played for the Texans during 1999-2002, and was a four-year letterman. Boren was All-Conference throughout his four year career. He earned second team honors his freshman year, and first team honors his sophomore, junior, and senior years. Boren was also a two time All-American selection in 2000 and 2002. He has the school record of five field goals in one game, and holds the Lone Star Conference record for 59 field goals in a career.

Banks became the 140th member and the 64th football player to be inducted into the Hall of Fame. Over his last two seasons he helped lead the Texans to a 15-4-1 record, which resulted in two conference championships in 1977 and 1978.

Guy was a two-year starter for the Texan basketball team. In the 1988-89 and 1989-90 seasons he helped lead the team to two conference championships. Guy made 210 three-pointers during his college career and scored 10 three-pointers in a single game, setting a school record. He is the 50th basketball player and 141st member to be inducted into the Hall of Fame.

Tomlinson was inducted as the 142nd member and the third Tarleton supporter. He has served on the Texan Club Advisory Board for over 20 years, serving as the president twice. Tomlinson was honored with the All-Purple Award in 1997.

The 1991-92 TexAnn basketball team enters the hall as its 143rd member. The team went 8-0 in district and made it to the championship game in the national tournament, but fell short of receiving the trophy. The TexAnns ended the season with an overall record of 30-8. The 1991-92 women’s basketball squad still has the most single season victories in Tarleton history. The 1991-92 team became the second team in school history to compete for a national title.

“These members made outstanding contributions to their team/program, they have honorable and respectable images and they are the pride of Tarleton State University and its athletic program,” Myres said.