Brahman cattle

A Texas rancher’s best friend

The great state of Texas has many well-known attributes such as crazy weather conditions, Mexican food, and professional sports teams. However, Texas is well-known as a cattle ranching state in the agriculture industry. 

There are many conditions that Texas cattlemen face such as climate, increasing management costs, and the need for high-quality ranch land. While some ranchers with Bos Taurus cattle, which originated in Europe, struggle to maintain their operations, ranchers who raise Brahman cattle are doing exceptionally well. 

Brahman cattle’s characters make them the perfect fit for Texas ranchers. Some of these characteristics include heat and insect tolerance, hybrid vigor, and carcass quality.

Brahman cattle are a Bos Indicus breed that originated in India. 

According to the American Brahman Breeders Association website, brahman.org, “Between 1854 and 1926, a nucleus of approximately 266 bulls and 22 females of several Bos Indicus types were imported into the United States.”

The American Brahman is comprised of four breeds: Gir, Guzerat, Nellore, and Krishna Valley. Each of these breeds contributes to the Brahman’s appearance and unique characteristics. 

According to Joe Akerman’s book “American Brahman: A History of the American Brahman,” “Brahman was the first word to be used in any formal sense in reference to North America’s first distinct Bos Indicus breed.” 

As mentioned above, Brahman cattle have many unique characteristics that allow them to thrive in Texas, such as heat tolerance. 

According to brahman.org, “Brahmans have dark skin pigmentation that filters the sun’s intense rays.” 

Brahman’s loose hide allows them to sweat freely unlike any European or Continental breed. Furthermore, Brahmans have a high tolerance to insects because of their ability to sweat freely. The oil that they secrete while sweating protects them from any diseases transmitted by insects. 

Because of this, Brahmans can survive and thrive in any climate. 

According to brahman.org, “Brahmans adapt and make the best of what’s available.” 

Due to their high adaptability, Brahmans do well in climates similar to Texas. When it is 110° outside, Brahmans can be up and grazing, or when snow covers the ground, they grow a thick coat, and their skin contracts permitting them to preserve body heat. 

Brahman females are well-known for their maternal instincts and fertility. After calving annually, these cows breed back quickly, supply quality milk for their calves, and live a long, productive life. 

Since Brahmans are the only breed with exceptional tolerances, adaptability, and maternal instincts, many breeders use Brahman cattle to crossbreed with Bos Taurus breeds. After all, crossbreeding is the primary reason why Brahman cattle were bred in the United States.

“Breeds that developed from the Indicus species possess a degree of adaptability to warm climates that is not evident in most breeds in the Taurus species,” stated Frank Baker in “Beef Cattle Science Handbook.” 

Their hybrid vigor, or heterosis, is why Brahmans often get referred to as Crossbreeding’s Common Denominator and the Brahman F-1, first-generation, crosses, are nicknamed the Queens of Cow Country. 

According to the Oxford Academic Journal of Animal Science, “Mating high percentage Brahman cows to straight-bred Brahman bulls may be an effective way to avoid the problems associated with straight-bred calf mortality.” 

This is why we have other American Cattle Breeds. Each of the American breeds has a percentage of Brahman genetics in their pedigree. The common American breeds are Beefmaster, Brahman, Santa Gertrudis, Brangus, Braford, and Simbrah.

For example, a Brahman bull crossed with a Hereford cow produces an F-1 Braford. In this cross, the Braford calf is getting the best of both worlds with the traits of the Brahman and the Hereford.

Brahman beef products prove healthier than other breeds products. 

According to brcutrer.com, “Brahman beef is proven to be a leaner product with more of the ‘healthy fats’.” 

Some of these fats include polyunsaturated fat and less saturated fat. Polyunsaturated and less saturated fats can help reduce bad cholesterol levels; therefore, lowering the risk of heart disease and stroke. 

The tolerances, adaptability, maternal instincts, hybrid vigor, and carcass quality are the characteristics that Brahman cattle possess making them the most well-suited breed of cattle for Texas ranchers.

For more information regarding Brahman cattle, go to brcutrer.com or brahman.org.