Gypsy Rose Blanchard

A victim of Munchausen by proxy

With over nine million followers on TikTok and her docu-series on Lifetime TV, it is clear that the world is fascinated with Gypsy Rose.

She spent over 20 years of her life suffering from abuse at the hands of her mother, Dee Dee (Claudine) Blanchard, before conspiring with her boyfriend at the time, Nicolas Godejohn, to murder her.

While Nicolas Godejohn was charged with first-degree murder and received a life sentence for stabbing Dee Dee Blanchard to death in 2016, Gypsy Blanchard was charged with second-degree murder and sentenced to 10 years under a plea deal. She was released from prison last week and has been using many platforms to tell her unique story ever since.

”As far as we know, Gypsy Blanchard is the only documented case of a victim of Munchausen Syndrome by Proxy who has killed their perpetrator to get out,” Munchausen Syndrome Expert, Beatrice Yorker, said in an interview with Lifetime. “That should tell all of us how desperate Gypsy was to escape her mother.”

Munchausen by proxy is a psychological disorder in which a caretaker seeks attention by pretending that their child is sick or has an illness. Munchausen by proxy is considered a relatively rare disorder with statistically 1% of Americans meeting the criteria. When left unchecked, this can have detrimental effects on the child.

In her docuseries, “The Prison Confessions of Gypsy Rose Blanchard,” Gypsy Blanchard says, “I started to feel like it was either her or me.”

Her mother, Dee Dee Blanchard, worked hard to convince everyone in their lives, including doctors, that Gypsy had the brain of a 7-year-old, muscular dystrophy, and leukemia among other illnesses. She buzzed her daughter Gypsy’s hair off and told people that the chemotherapy  was making it fall out, confined her to a wheelchair, and put her through several surgeries and medications that she did not need.

“Regardless of what Dee-Dee said, it’s a doctor’s job to figure out what’s real and what’s not, and that was not done for Gypsy,” Dr. Robert Steele, Gypsy’s pediatrician said in an interview with Lifetime.

Gypsy Rose Blanchard has inspired many people around the world, becoming famous just days after her prison release because she was able to persevere through this horrific abuse. And not only did Gypsy Blanchard persevere, but she also found love behind bars and wrote an ebook reflecting on her experiences.

On a viral TikTok with more than three million views, Gypsy Blanchard talks about her new ebook, “Conversations on the Eve of Freedom.”

“It’s not a rehashing of everything that happened, it’s more of my reflection of everything that I have learned and experienced in the last eight and a half years,” she said.

In addition to promoting recent works such as “The Prison Confessions of Gypsy Rose” and “Conversations on the Eve of Freedom” on social media, Gypsy Blanchard also enjoys posting selfies with her husband, Ryan Anderson.

The 37-year-old 6th-grade social studies teacher wrote Gypsy Blanchard while she was in jail, and their relationship began shortly after. Anderson proposed on his third in-person visit with her, and they were married in a small prison ceremony with no guests in 2022.

Gypsy Blanchard recently took to Instagram to address some of the hate towards her husband.

On one of his posts, she commented: “Ryan, don’t listen to the haters. I love you, and you love me. We do not owe anyone anything. Our family is who matters. If you get likes and good comments great, if you get hate then whatever because THEY DON’T MATTER. I love you. Besides, they jealous because you’re rocking my world every night…yeah I said it, the D is fire. Happy wife happy life.”

Although it led to fame and freedom, Gypsy Rose Blanchard seems to deeply regret playing a role in the murder of her mother.

“Nobody will ever hear me say I’m glad she’s dead or I’m proud of what I did,” she said in an exclusive interview with People magazine. “I regret it every day.”

But while Gypsy Rose can not change the past, she can change her future.

Gypsy Blanchard said, “After a lifetime of silence, I finally get to use my voice, share my story, and complete my truth.”

For more information, go to www.newportacademy.com/resources/mental-health/munchausen-by-proxy-syndrome,

people.com/gypsy-rose-blanchard-moment-she-decided-have-mom-dee-dee-killed-exclusive-8421703, or

play.mylifetime.com/shows/the-prison-confessions-of-gypsy-rose-blanchard.