Tarleton State arts

Choral program

Tarleton State showcases a multitude of groups and communities who excel in many different ways, academically, athletically, culturally, and through community. One of these groups, whose voice bleeds purple and who has been bringing together Tarleton State and close communities through song, is the Tarleton State Choral Program. The various ensembles within the program reach not just the Tarleton State’s local community, but also bring songs to the world. 

There are five choral ensembles, including Texan Troubadours, all of which serve their own musical purposes. The University Singers, a symphonic chorus, brings together a melting pot of vocal ranges, and they perform a masterwork concert every semester. The latest being their 44th annual, led by performances of George Handels’ “Messiah” in which the university singers performed alongside the likes of The Cross Timbers Civic Choir and the Fort Worth Symphony Orchestra. 

The Texan Riders, known formally as the Texas Gentleman, is the tenor and bass ensemble. This men’s choir, which was originally created by students, gives a space for men to express themselves musically. They have performed a wide range of songs, from comedic and loud to low and powerful. They have recently performed in the annual holiday collage alongside Tarleton State bands and the women’s choir. 

Texan Harmony, also known as select women’s choir, is the treble ensemble. This group of ladies perform and sing a variety of songs, and often what they lack in numbers, they make up for in heart. With the vocal ranges of alto and soprano, every song they perform is led by strong singers. They are often found singing beside the Texan Riders and Tarleton State’s top choral ensemble. 

The Chamber choir garners the most attention and praise, and rightfully so, as they are the premier choir. With both men and women in this group, Chamber’s voice is loud and enchanting. The ensemble has done so well for themselves that they have taken to represent Tarleton State across the sea. This past June, the Chamber choir got to fly over to England and not only experience the local cultures, but also perform a variety of songs as Tarleton State ambassadors. With the vocal work they do, they have also traveled and performed in places like Carnegie Hall, China, and Japan. This is due to the many supporters of Tarleton Arts, and the leadership of Choral Director, Dr. Troy Robertson. 

Dr. Robertson has directed and led the choral program since 2012, conducting and even singing alongside the choirs. The Choral Program has Robertson to thank for helping to excel in both performances and outreach. He has connected with Tarleton State communities and works hard to showcase his own musical work as well as the choir’s own effort. He has been heavily involved in music almost his entire life, and Tarleton State’s choir and choruses have a deep meaning  to him. 

“To me, choir helps to form the heart of community, in which it is especially important in a place like Tarleton (State), where school spirit and a sense of what it means to be a Texan, are born by organizations like choir,” Dr. Robertson said.

Tarleton State is full of organizations that all beautifully show the spirit and standards which all Tarleton State Texans should follow. The university choirs display a perfect amount of pride in its school, with almost every concert being concluded with the color song. The Choral program has brought songs to different communities and has shown great promise in Tarleton State’s mission of community and outreach, truly showcasing the heart of a true Texan. A concert to keep a note for is the Voice of Renewal, the spring choir concert, which is occurring on Apr. 19 at 7:30 p.m. in the Fine Arts Center Theater.

For more information on the Tarleton States Choral Program, please visit www.tarleton.edu/performingarts/music/vocal/.