Student Government’s plans for the future

Photo Courtesy: Tarleton SGA

John Zanella/Staff Writer

As Tarleton State University continues the current trend of growth, the Student Government Association strives to expand the institution’s capacity in student accommodations. In conglomeration with the SGA at Angelo State University, aa well as several satellite universities, Tarleton student body President Lura Rylant is seeking to minimize “going without” as a student via implementation of the following:  

–       Expansion of the newly added food pantry

–       Increased functionality of study rooms located in the Dick Smith Library

–       Provision of increased parking for faculty and graduate students

–       The opening of a “suit-bank” for students requiring formal-wear for interviews

Being a new addition, the food pantry has room for growth, which Rylant plans to improve by “working with our on-campus food pantry to help them grow in space, as well as gaining it publicity.” Rylant, and her cohorts in SGA have also begun gaining valuable attention for the pantry by attending city council meetings and providing student input.

In terms of preserving valuable tradition, Rylant added that “After bringing Oscar P home we’ve partnered with ROTC and the Plowboys to ensure he’s at more of Tarleton’s special occasions.” In addition, SGA began partnering with organizations as a means to provide further support for events.

In the 2016 spring semester, SGA will partner with Stephenville’s Chamber of Commerce to promote awareness for sexual assault, as well as inviting local 6th grade students to Tarleton’s campus to see the value of higher-education. The 6th grade day, scheduled for this upcoming March, is a program Rylant hopes will “show them there is something more than just pursuing a high school diploma.”

The expansion of Tarleton has already generated significant improvements to campus that are convenient and visually appealing. As campus continues the requisite growth for a Division-1 institution, life as a Texan seems to be on the upward rise.