Tradition rings at Tarleton Ring Ceremony

Example of a Tarleton class ring

Example of a Tarleton class ring

Leah Ray/Contributor

Editor’s Note: The following story was submitted from an outside contributor, and has been published as-submitted.

We rarely see Tarleton students wear their Tarleton class ring, much less even get one to wear. But now that trend is starting to change thanks in part to the Tarleton Ring Ceremony.

At the event, which is held once a semester, students can come together and remember why they are students at Tarleton. This ceremony highlights the students’ achievements at the university along with their friends and family.

The fall semester’s ceremony was held Sunday, Nov. 9, at the Wells Fine Arts Center auditorium.

In an interview, Marty Stinson he said he got the Tarleton ring because “I considered it a big tradition at Tarleton.

:And after seeing my brother get one after going to Tarleton, that pushed me to want one too,” he added.

Stinson said he has a sense of pride in his university and wants others to notice that after he graduates.

M’Kenna Gillespie, who also attended the Tarleton Ring Ceremony said she enjoys “the sentimental value of things, so the ring ceremony provided me with that deeper, meaningful experience not only for myself but for my family as well.”

Visiting with the Tarleton Alumni House, Jessica Evans, director of development and alumni engagement, said she got her Tarleton ring because it is “a symbol to the outside world to my university.

“I do not have the traditional ring and it opens up more questions when I am out,” she said. “It gives me a chance to tell them about my university I went to.”

Gillespie said she thinks the Tarleton Ring Ceremony should be more recognized.

“Honestly, I didn’t even know about it until I ordered my ring, and even then did I have no idea about what I was getting myself into,” she said. “I do think the ring ceremony should be more recognized since our school is so big on tradition.  As Dr. Dottavio said, this is something I plan to ‘wear with pride’ for the rest of my life.”

The ring tradition began a long time ago when a committee of alumni came together to design the ring. On one side the ring depicts the Administration Building, your degree and the university’s front gates. The other side is your graduation date, oak tree, cannon and the light poles. On the top of the ring is the university seal, along with the words “Tarleton State University.”

For more information on the Tarleton ring or the Tarleton Ring Ceremony, contact the Alumni House at 254-968-9682, or visit the Tarleton State University official website.