A day in the life of Trinidee Mitchell

Mitchell performing as Karen during the 2013 play “Jake’s Wonder”

If you have seen a show at Tarleton State University you have probably seen the work of Trinidee Mitchell. Whether on stage or behind the scenes, Mitchell makes sure she does her best work no matter what.

Mitchell, from Fort Worth, is a senior theatre major who has been an actor, technician, designer, and a student in her three years at Tarleton. She started out as an actor during her freshman year but has learned to become a designer and a technician.

Mitchell is involved in many organizations on campus. She is a member of Delta Zeta (as well as a mentor for the new members), Tarleton Players, Vice President and SGA Representative of Alpha Psi Omega (an honorary theatre fraternity), and a performer in Improv at Tarleton. Mitchell has been a TTM 2012-2013, a member of Round-Up Committee in 2012-2013, a contestant for the May Fete competition in 2013, and was also a make-up artist at Estee Lauder.

A typical day in Mitchells life might not seem very busy, but when you see how much work she puts into her class and school work, you will think otherwise.

Mitchell usually starts her day by waking up around 9 a.m., as she doesn’t have any early morning classes, and then starts getting ready for her day. Once she is ready to go, she walks to the Fine Arts Center where she has most of her classes.

She either starts off her class day with Stagecraft or Scenic Painting, after which she runs to the Student Center to grab a bite to eat, and brings it back to the Green Room to eat with her friends. “Most of the time we either catch up on life or catch up on homework.” Said Mitchell. After lunch, she makes her way up to the costume shop to work on the current show. Recently, she has been an assistant hair and make-up designer, and a costume designer, so she spends a lot of time in the costume shop.

“I usually work from one to five during shop hours, and then around five I go get some dinner, and then I come back to work some more,” Mitchell said. After about a one hour dinner break, and watching a little bit of rehearsal, Mitchell comes back to the shop to work on the show and do as much as she can. Usually the amount of work there is to do keeps her busy until at least 10 p.m. or sometimes midnight.

When asked what her favorite thing to do outside of the theatre Mitchell said, “I like to go out with my friends and let off steam from the week.” Mitchell also stated that her favorite thing to do in the theatre is hair and makeup.

There are many aspects of theatre to love, but Mitchell stated, “My favorite thing about theatre is that I can literally hate every single person in the department at any given time, yet I know that that is my family.”

“My favorite thing about Tarleton is the traditions that we have, and the fact that it is a home away from home for me,” Said Mitchell.