Last Day, Best Day

What the last day of Tarleton’s Homecoming Week has in store

Tarleton’s 2023 Homecoming Week is Oct. 15 to Oct. 21. 

While each day of homecoming week is jam-packed full of fun events and traditions, the last day of homecoming brings a perfect week to a perfect end.

Starting off the last day of homecoming week on Saturday morning, Oct. 21, is the Homecoming Parade. 

The Homecoming Parade will run from 10 a.m. to 12 p.m. Parade participants will assemble in the parking lot next to the baseball field, and will begin their route on Harbin Drive.  

Turning right off of Harbin Drive and onto Washington Street, the parade will travel all the way down Washington Street until it will turn left at McIlhaney Street. This is where each individual parade participant will be formally introduced at the gates on Military Drive. 

The parade is led by the Texan Corps of Cadets, followed by Tarleton President Dr. James Hurley and First Lady Kindall Hurley driving in a Rolls Royce. The Tarleton State Marching Band, “The Sound and The Fury,” will march behind, playing Tarleton State University spirit songs. 

Other organizations such as sororities and fraternities, academic clubs, social clubs and spirit groups will make floats to show off in the parade and compete in the competition for best float. 

For this upcoming parade, there will be many traditions celebrated. The Purple Poo will be celebrating their 100th anniversary. The Purple Poo has been the oldest spirit organization on campus consisting of Ten Tarleton Peppers (TTP) and Ten Tarleton Sisters (TTS).

While the Homecoming Parade is wrapping up, Texan Alley is being prepped for the Texan Alley tailgate. While the Texan Alley tailgate happens before every home football game, the tailgate on the day of the Homecoming Game is extra festive. 

Tarleton State organizations such as sororities and fraternities, Tarleton Parents Association, and the Tarleton Alumni Association will get together on the Northside of Memorial Stadium to prepare for the game.

Organizations involved will play music, make food, and provide drinks as well as alcoholic drinks for those over the age of 21. Tailgate will run until kickoff. 

This is a great time to hang out and celebrate before the start of the game. Most organizations use this time to also catch up with many alumni who come for the homecoming weekend and play corn hole. 

The conclusion of homecoming week is the annual Homecoming Football Game. 

The Homecoming Game became infamous with the rivalry between the John Tarleton Agricultural College (JTAC), now known as Tarleton State, and the North Texas Agricultural College (NTAC), now known as University of Texas Arlington (UTA). 

While Tarleton is not competing against UTA this year, the Homecoming Game will still be none-the-less exciting against Morehead State at 6 p.m. on Saturday. Make sure to be there to support the Texans at the football game.

“My favorite thing about homecoming is being able to go all-out with dressing up in Tarleton purple and spending time with my sorority sisters,” Tarleton Alumni, Makayla Hutchison, said.

The last day of homecoming week is bittersweet, but as the saying goes, the last day is always the best day.

For more information on the events of this year’s homecoming week, visit www.tarleton.edu/homecoming/stephenville-events/