Lighting of the Smokestack

Lighting our spirits

We see it every day, sometimes even multiple times a day on our journey throughout the campus. It looms overhead as a reminder that our spirit holds strong, written in big purple letters. The smokestack is not just a landmark to let you know where you are or where you have been, but a reminder about the rich history of Tarleton State University.

The smokestack was originally built in 1923, where it was used to help regulate the furnace heating systems for Tarleton State. These are large industrial chimneys used to help combust and burn fossil fuels in furnaces, and in turn, the steam produced by the burning fossil fuels was used to generate electricity. Unfortunately, due to pollution and carbon emissions, as well as the rise of new heating and cooling technology, this structure was not used in the late 1900’s. 

An old, well known legend about the famous smokestack is that during the intense rivalry between the JTAC (John Tarleton Agricultural College) and NTAC (North Texas Agricultural College), an invader from NTAC flew an airplane over the smokestack and dropped a brick down the shaft. This was an act of vandalism hoping that the JTAC would never be able to recover the brick as long as the smokestack is in use. It was thought to be merely a legend, with no supporting evidence found, until 2009. A maintenance inspection was held where the workers found a single brick at the very bottom of the smokestack.

The smokestack was then restored in 1998, where it was painted white and purple to proudly display Tarleton State University’s spirit and name. It is now Texan Spirit Week, where Tarleton will light up the smokestack purple to unify students, organizations, and clubs together in order to celebrate Tarleton State’s history, as well as celebrate the 100th anniversary of the smokestack. We also have the pleasure of watching the homecoming court be announced at this event.

Join us at the smokestack on Sunday, Oct. 15 from 7:30 p.m. to 10 p.m. in the P5 parking lot for festivities, music, food, and dancing.