Launching of The Ducks

Tarleton State University Launching of the Ducks 2023

Regardless of what your favorite homecoming tradition is, the launching of the ducks should always be considered a must attend homecoming week event. Tuesday, Oct. 17 from 5:30 p.m. to 7 p.m., Tarleton State students will be given the opportunity to launch their very own mini duck of Oscar P into the Reflecting Pond located in front of the nursing building. 

While the launching of the ducks may be considered one of the newest traditions that Tarleton State Homecoming week has to offer, it has quickly become one of the most memorable. During this tradition, students will be provided with a yellow rubber duck, which they are expected to write their long or short-term goals and dreams on. After writing what they hope to accomplish, students will then be able to launch their ducks into the reflecting pool. The action of launching their ducks symbolizes participants moving forward towards the goals written on their duck. 

Participants should be sure to launch their duck at the same time as other participants in order to make the experience more enjoyable and memorable. Launching a duck before the majority would result in a duck floating all by itself, putting a damper on the magic of the duck launch. 

In the effort of ensuring there are enough supplies for everyone, students and other participants are encouraged to only grab one duck provided by the hosts. If possible students are also encouraged to bring their own duck and sharpie to share. While this is not mandatory and supplies will be provided, showing up with your own duck and writing utensil would ensure that everyone got the opportunity to launch towards their goals and dreams during this event.