Beating of the Drum

The Sound of our heartbeats

The beating of the drum is a historical tradition that holds true to today, where Tarleton students volunteer to beat the drum at the beginning of the week of homecoming, non-stop, leading all the way to the football game kickoff. 

This unique history has an amazing story to convey. The beating of the drum first originated in the 1920s, where the rivalry between the John Tarleton Agricultural (JTAC) and North Texas Agricultural College (NTAC) was fierce and unyielding. From 1927 to 1933, no football games were held due to the intense rivalry between the two schools. This rivalry seemed to originate from the tension of World War I, as well as a new way to incur school spirit and keep students stress free and engaged in their community. Once football began to pick up again, both schools would gather huge piles of logs, lumber, and boxes to burn in order to enlighten and embody the school spirit of Tarleton State, as well as to encourage and inspire their football team for the upcoming rivalry game between the JTAC and NTAC.

The NTAC and JTAC made frequent attempts to light each other’s bonfires early as an act of vandalism and rivalry. In order to deter the NTAC from further burning the bonfires, the students of Tarleton State would beat a drum 24 hours a day up until homecoming to deter and discourage the NTAC students from trying to invade campus.

Today, organizations and students can volunteer to beat the drum in shifts leading all the way to the football kickoff. The rhythmic beating is a reminder that our school’s pride and spirit lives on in our friends, peers, and family. That once we are inducted through the candle lighting ceremony, we become a family with those around us.

Join us for the beating of the drum that takes place in the Thompson Student Center Amphitheater on Wednesday, Oct. 18 after the yell contest. This event will continue until the football game kickoff on Oct. 21.