Pretty girls hit campus

Painting the town pink and green

Tarleton State University just got a lot prettier as we officially welcome the ladies of  the Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Incorporated to our campus this fall. Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc. (ΑΚΑ) is the first intercollegiate historically African American sorority. The sorority was founded on Jan. 15, 1908, at the historically Black Howard University in Washington, D.C., by a group of sixteen students led by Ethel Hedgemon Lyle. Forming a sorority broke barriers for African American women in areas where they had little power or authority due to a lack of opportunities for minorities and women in the early 20th century.

The sorority is one of the nation’s largest Greek-letter organizations, having had more than 350,000 members in 1,024 chapters in the United States and several other countries. Women may join through undergraduate chapters at a college or university, or they may be invited to join by a graduate chapter after acquiring an undergraduate or advanced college degree.

Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc. is part of the National Pan-Hellenic Council (NPHC) and will join Zeta Phi Beta and Phi Beta Sigma as one of the only three historically Black Greek organizations on campus.

Tarleton State University, Office of Sorority and Fraternity life  held the first official rush meeting for Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc. in fall of 2022 and has been working since then to establish a chapter here at Tarleton State University.  On Oct. 29, 2023,  Tarleton State  officially welcomed the Upsilon Omicron Chapter of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Incorporated to Tarleton State University. Since  they’re chartering, the AKA’s have jumped straight into serving their community. They served during Tarleton State University annual round up for service day; they have also been recognized  officially by the Stephenville City Hall being presented with a celebratory proclamation and an official welcome into both Stephenville and Tarleton State University history and has been received very well across social media and campus.

“Seeing more options for women of color to serve and be apart of something great on campus is a prime factor in me deciding to stay her another semester while we have our issues here the university is making an effort tall is starting to really mean all and i wouldn’t have had it any other way,” sophomore business management major, Jakayla Pierce, states 

The chartering of AKA is a milestone for  the  university and the community, but most importantly the students as Tarleton State celebrates becoming division one and several improvements to its social and academic infrastructure. It is important to have organizations reflective of its diverse  and ever expanding study body. To learn more about the Upsilon Omicron chapter of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc. feel free to follow them on social media @tarleton_akas, or visit the sorority and fraternity life website for more information.