New position, familiar face

Cameron Ellner is making his mark as the New Student Program Coordinator

If you attended Duck Camp 2 this past summer, you may have witnessed a pretty spectacular proposal. 

Cameron Ellner, the newly hired New Student Program Coordinator, got down on one knee to propose to his long-time girlfriend, Meagan Anderson, in the most meaningful way. 

Ellner has a long history at Tarleton State University, so he fit the part just right. 

Ellner graduated from Tarleton State in May of 2020 with a Bachelor of Science in Criminal Justice and will soon walk the stage again with a Master of Public Administration in May of 2022.

During his time as an undergraduate student, Ellner was a 2018 Student Director for New Student Programs, served on Student Government Association, the Round-Up Leadership Team, took part in the Criminal Justice Association, and was a Texan Rep. His involvement is what led him to discover his passion for higher education. 

During his Master’s program, Ellner was the graduate assistant for Student Affairs, and co-led the development of the Tarleton Purple Pantry and TexConnect student-resourcing initiatives. 

The New Student Programs Office is responsible for making incoming freshmen and new students feel welcome. They are a big part of making the transition to Tarleton State University as smooth as possible. 

In his role as coordinator, he helps plan and execute the Texan 3-Step (Texan Orientation, Duck Camp, and Transition Week), the Transfer 2-Step (Transfer Takeover and Texan Camp), and Spring Admit initiatives, as well as oversee the Tarleton Transition Mentors.

Ellner’s favorite part of his job is getting to work closely with student leaders everyday. 

“Watching the growth of our student leaders throughout their Tarleton Transition Mentor (TTM) journey is remarkable, and now having the platform to contribute to that growth makes it even more special. I wouldn’t be who I am today without the TTM program, so it is truly an honor to help foster these experiences for others,” Ellner said.

Ellner and Anderson met during their freshman year of high school, “while Tarleton wasn’t the birthplace of our relationship, it had the most incredible impact on us, both as individuals and as a couple,” Ellner stated. 

Anderson served as Student Director for New Student Programs the year after Ellner, so they both had many experiences serving in leadership positions at Tarleton State.

“Duck Camp introduced us to some of our best friends, helped foster our growing love for Tarleton, and created memories that will truly last a lifetime. So, when it was time to pop the question, there was no better way to do it than in our goofy overalls, surrounded by some of Tarleton’s finest leaders, at Duck Camp… We Love It! And to have our family there to experience it with us was icing on the cake,” Ellner replied. 

Ellner suggests getting involved and spending time with peers who share similar goals to all Tarleton students. To anyone interested in leadership positions, Tarleton Transition Members are a great way to get involved. 

The TTM program is a great opportunity to meet fellow Texans, enhance your leadership qualities, and build incredible memories, while investing in the success of Tarleton’s incoming students,” Ellner stated.

Be on the lookout for the next round of TTM applications that will open in the Fall of 2022. Until then, take some time to stop by and visit the Welcome Center!